Galway Rowing Club News Feed
- Season 22 underway with wins at Cork HOR for Mixed Masters 8+ and 4X
- Season 2021 ended on an incredible high, clinching 2 Irish titles in the Junior Womens 2-, of Evelina Zakarauskaite in Stroke and Ranya Praxmarer in the bow seat,… and the Junior Womens 4- in a fantastic race leading from start to finish…well done Hannah Durkan, Ranya Praxmarer, Evelina Zakarauskaite, Crea Elwood, and of course to coaches Tom Elwood and Conor Maloney. KAtie O’Brien also won the Para2 1X event, teh first time this event was raced at the Irish Championships. Our Junior Women’s 8+ came 2nd on Sunday behind a very strong Enniskillen BC crew. Well done to everyone involved, nd to all
- our crews, coaches, parents and supporters who travelled to Cork.
- As we look back and reflect on a fantastic Olympic regatta we need to pinch ourselves as to what we witness unfold over the course of the weeks rowing. Our own Fiona Murtagh, along with fellow Galwegian Aifric Keogh and crew mates Eimear Lambe from Dublin and Emily Hegarty from Skibereen, win an OLYMPIC BRONZE MEDAL in the Womens 4- event. Unbelievable result…from summer camps to Olympic podium, what dreams are made of..Then onto the MEns L2X – a step up from the silverin Rio to a fantastic GOLD MEDAL winning performance from Paul and Fintan. What a year for Irish Rowing. And the performances of the other Irish crews, four finished in the top ten, with two finishing just outside, in 11th and 12th. Full review on RI website
Great news of one of our Junior 18 girls, Evelina Zakarauskaite, being selected for the Irish team in the Coupe de la Jeunesse squad, competing in the Womens 2- with Patti Mullin from Belfast RC.This is a great achievement for Evelina, who has really worked hard over the lockdown, along with the rest of the Junior girls, and the hard effort and dedication has paid off. It is also her second Irish Jersey having competed in the Home International Junior 2- in 2019 with former clubmate Maeve Quinn.Special shout out to coaches Conor Moloney and Tom Elwood on guiding and encouraging Evelina to reach this point early in her career. Congrats to all concerned. Well done !!
- Some success recently at Commercial and Castleconnell regattas;
The J18 Girls travelled to Commercial Dublin in Islandbridge while Masters rowers and some of our younger crews travelled to Castleconnell regatta in Limerick.The J18 girls rowed at Commercial Regatta and Won the J18 8 , Inter 8 and were beaten by 1/2L in the club 8.In Castleconnell Regatta, the younger crews & master’s rowed. Unfortunately our younger crews recorded no wins but haf a few 2nd place finishes. The Masters 4x won both their race’sThese events were first time club competed since December 2019. Its a testament to the hard work the rowers did during the numerous lock downs, they stuck to their training plans on ergos at home, under guidance of club coaches. This weekend is a great start to our return to the water and racing.Special thanks must go to club captain, Conor Moloney, and the team of coaches and volunteers for keeping the Juniors training and motivated. Heres to a few more events over coming weeks.
- Updates to our Gallery section are now under way. Check out our new ‘Championship Winners’ section and some of our ‘Internationals’ in’Irish National Representation’ area. Feel free to send on any photos you have from the club. We’ll find somewhere for them. All the other sections will be filled over the coming weeks
- All crews for the forthcoming season 2019/2020 are now back training in earnest. Any new people are welcome to come down and try.